Blog Worthy Oatmeal and New Workout


I have recently rediscovered my love for oatmeal thanks to reading food blogs. I've been in a cereal rut for a while, but after seeing all of your mouthwatering pictures of oats, I am convinced that oatmeal is the easiest delicious, filling, healthy, and versatile breakfast, and I should be eating it all the time! After a little trial and error, I have now created my own perfect bowl of oatmeal based on Kath's recipe for whipped banana oatmeal. 


My Favorite Oats:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 whole banana (sliced)
  • cinnamon!
  • dried fruit and nuts
1. Put oats, milk, water, and banana in a microwavable bowl. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Whip up the softened bananas in the oatmeal with a fork until smooth consistency.
3. Cook for 1:30 minutes and let cool a little.
4. Pour on some extra milk, a generous sprinkle of cinnamon, and add dried fruit and nuts!

Today's oats were topped with dried cranberries and cherries, toasted almond slices, and pecans. Perfect breakfast! I like to use the whole banana in my oats because I love the flavor and the sweetness it adds! My oatmeal has the perfect amount of sweetness for me without tasting like one of those overly sweet instant oatmeal packets...

My favorite part of making this oatmeal is that it makes my kitchen smell like banana bread!! What a great way to wake up on a cold morning! I'm also having fun experimenting with different toppings. One morning I put fresh blueberries in my bowl...reminded me of a blueberry muffin!

Today, I did a workout that is very different from my normal routine... I went to a BodyPump class at my school's gym. They were having a special today were you could drop in on a class for $5 to check it out. You basically lift weights for an hour while listening to techno music. Lots of weighted squats, lunges, chest presses, bicep curls...my arms feel like jello! Maybe if I did this consistently, I would look like the BodyPump ad girl :)

We did a million a couple sets of those squats she is doing. It was a challenge, and I will most definitely be sore tomorrow! Although I had fun, I don't plan on going back enough to get those ripped abs and awesome biceps.... I know that weight bearing exercises are so good for you, but I feel more satisfied if a go for a long run, swim, or bike ride. I guess I am a cardio girl at heart. Hopefully, my legs won't be too sore for spin class tomorrow!

8 comments:

Reeni said...

I am the same way! I love cardio but hate the weights, especially legs, my knees always hurt for a week afterward. I really like oats too, a lot, but whenever I eat them I feel hungry like an hour later?!

Anonymous said...

Yay oatmeal!! You should try nut butters in there next, you'll never turn back! :)

I love body pump classes, they are definitely TOUGH though! Hope you're not too sore tomorrow!

HEAB said...

I'm in a total oat rut these days...and loving it. I used to go to a Body Pump class. It met at 6 AM, but you had to get there about 10 minutes early to set up all your equipment. I got lazy and just started lifting dumbbells at home. I don't think I'll get those ripped abs or awesome biceps with my 8 pounders. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hell yes for oatmeal!! I can't go ONE DAY without it :-)

Anonymous said...

that sounds exactly like the class i go to called group power. i loveee it its such an amazing workout!

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

i LOVE squats. and lunges. they are my fave!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Holly said...

I'm so bummed my gym doesn't have Body Pump. :-( It sounds awesome! And I'm glad to see you microwave your oats....sometimes (all the time) I'm too lazy/in a hurry in the morning to use pots and the stove top. I might have to try it in the micro!

Amber said...

I love weight-training classes. I have trouble motivating myself to do weights otherwise, but I do force myself to do weights twice a week for an hour usually!